Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weekly Rants: March 6, 2013

Greetings Fellow Readers! Welcome to another round of random ranting. This I another 'Thought on Writing'. This will probably be brief, so let us begin.

[Thoughts on Writing: Passive Voice

     Passive Voice is kind of a polarizing form of grammar. From my experience, I heard on one side that it is very bad grammar and to never use it, while on the other side, I heard it was okay if used correctly. I'm not the type of person that can comprehend things so easily, but in my early writings, they were chock full of passive voice. For me it sounded okay, but then when you're writer everything looks and sounds okay. But once other people read it, they can feel the irritation of passive voice and say its wrong. Now, when I joined WebFictionGuide.com I as criticized for the passive voice, so I made adjustments by removing all passive voice, only to be told that I didn't need to get rid of passive voice altogether. Now that felt irritating.
      So what was I to do? I decided to go for a middle ground. I learned that passive voice was good for foreshadowing since passive voice can be vague and not strong enough. So what I have been trying to do in all of current writings is try to set up a foreshadow using passive voice. Now whether it works or not lays in your hands fellow readers, but if passive voice proves effective in foreshadowing, then I will keep using passive voice.
      I think that sometimes passive voice, if used in the right place, can be a correct move to make, especially if it serves the story well. If it can keep readers interested in reading more, if it can make reveals more shocking, or if it can define the entire story, then passive voice should be so easily and readily dismissed. But ONLY if you can passive voice work in the story's favor, or else, it would be best to steer clear of it altogether.]

So that was what I had on mind today. Not much, very short and simple.

Thank you all for listening to my brief ranting. Join me again next Wednesday for more rants.

Until Next Time...
See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment